Based in Tokyo, Japan
Press / Business contact:
A turn-based strategy game of intrigue with a distinct Japanese flavor that takes place in the aftermath of your king's assassination. Roll out the tanks, create more troops, expand your squad, and struggle for territory with war-room levels of control!
HistoryHistory of the team behind TINY METAL
Wanting to realize the true potential of Japanese strategy war games, the veteran Japanese game developers of AREA 35 came together to make TINY METAL in late 2015. They dreamed of a project hearkening back to the golden age of Japanese video games with gameplay first and a memorable story. Despite a tough start with a failed Kickstarter campaign, the small team found investors and redoubled their efforts. Through passion, plus enthusiasm, the team has developed TINY METAL to the game it is today. A proud recipient of Epic Games' Unreal Dev Grant, and showcased at BitSummit, Tokyo Indie Festival, SMASH!, PAX Prime, Tokyo Game Show, Paris Games Week, and C3 Anime Festival Asia, TINY METAL is ready to bring the battle to you on the Nintendo Switch, Sony PlayStation 4, and Steam (Windows and macOS)!
TINY METAL's release trailer! - YouTube
TINY METAL's opening cinematic, as the Artemisians battle the Zipang! - YouTube
Playthrough of the BitSummit 2017 Skirmish demo map (May 2017) - YouTube
There are far more images available for TINY METAL, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Famitsu Indie Prize Nominee" - Tokyo Game Show 2017
- "4Gamer.net Indie Prize Nominee" - Tokyo Game Show 2017
- "Epic Games Unreal Dev Grant" - Announced August 2017
- "Indie MEGABOOTH Featured Game" - PAX West 2017
- "Excellent - 9/10 - AREA 35 has crafted a tactical wargame which is every bit as compelling, addictive and challenging as its inspiration, while adding in a storyline of surprising drama and complexity. The robust single-player campaign - twinned with some great one-off maps in the Skirmish mode - is worth the price of admission alone, but when the multiplayer mode arrives... the game will become even more essential."
- Damien McFerran, Nintendo Life
- "I'm really excited to play an Advance Wars-style game on PC, finally."
- Evan Lahti, PC Gamer
- "From the presentation to the gameplay mechanics to the sound design, TINY METAL is incredibly ambitious and will be introducing new takes on the genre as well."
- Roberto Nieves, Stack-Up
- "'Advance Wars Lives On In Spirit With TINY METAL' - This is something that looks really good. The art style is great. [...] I'm a huge fan of turn-based strategy. Especially after playing Rabbids on the Switch, I'm looking for more on that console. It looks like this is gonna scratch that itch, for sure."
- Edmond Tran, GameSpot
[TRANSLATION] Wonderful movements, easy to understand rules, and the AI ran fast and responsive. TINY METAL hits the mark with how smooth and fast it plays. I never felt disappointed while playing."
- Arkblade, GameSpark (translated)
- "TINY METAL ist ein modernes Advance Wars - Eine aufpolierte Variante von Advance Wars präsentiert, was mich damals ja doch sehr begeistert hatte. Rundenbasiertes Manövrieren, Schießen, Verstärken – dazu mit knuffig-neuer Grafik.
[TRANSLATION] TINY METAL is a modern Advance Wars - A revamped version of Advance Wars, which made me very enthusiastic. Turn-based maneuvering, shooting, amplification - with cuddly-new graphics."
- Maik Zehrfeld, LangweileDich.net (translated)
- "Surprisingly, I ended up enjoying TINY METAL more than I thought I would. Kudos to AREA 35 for doing something that the fans of this genre have been asking Nintendo to do for years. I can't even begin to talk how many times I've said "just one more game", only to see that one more game has turned into another hour. Not to mention that game is easily 20-23 hours long. That's not even counting how many times you'll end up restarting a round. The game is very addicting and I love it!"
- Keith Mitchell, TheOuterhaven
- "This is developer AREA 35's attempt to capture the gameplay of Nintendo's Advance Wars games, and it succeeds because it doesn't skimp on the underlying math that makes those turn-based tactics games work in the first place."
- Jeff Grubb, GamesBeat (VentureBeat)
- "TINY METAL doesn't copy the Advance Wars formula — it improves it."
- Jeremy Peeples, Hardcore Gamer
- "'TINY METAL is the Advance Wars clone you've been waiting for' - If you like turn-based tactical battles, TINY METAL delivers in spades."
- Aloysius Low, CNET
- "TINY METAL Looks Like the Advance Wars Sequel You've Always Wanted"
- Brittany Vincent, Twinfinite
- "If you liked Advance Wars, then you will find TINY METAL very satisfying..."
- Ty Arthur, GameSkinny
- "TINY METAL improves on Advance Wars..."
- Jeremy Peel, PCGamerN
- "I'm glad someone's making [this game]"
- Jordan Devore, Destructoid
- "It wants to merge the grand tradition of military stories... with old-school Japanese tactics games like Advance Wars."
- Maddi Chilton, Kill Screen
- "TINY METAL fills the Advance Wars-shaped hole in life"
- Oliver Guy, Last Life Club
- "Miss Advance Wars? TINY METAL might be just what you need to fill the tactical void"
- Albert Khoury, Digital Trends
- "4.5/5 - I imagine there are two types of people[...]: Fans of Advance Wars looking for something to fill that void. To those I’ll say, go and buy it; you will get the same experience with TINY METAL and have fun. For those that never played it but are curious, I feel it’s worth your time."
- Henry Badilla, Operation Rainfall
- "'If Nintendo Won't Make A New Advance Wars, These Guys Will' - It's...well, it's Advance Wars. The cute design, the square tiles, the turn-based combat, the rock-paper-scissors strategy, the cute character art, the branching narrative campaign, the works."
- Luke Plunkett, Kotaku
GameSpot previews TINY METAL at Tokyo Game Show 2017
See their thoughts at youtube.com.
PC Gamer talks with AREA 35 at PAX West 2017
View the interview at youtube.com.
BaronVonLetsPlay tries the TINY METAL Kickstarter prototype
Check it out at youtube.com.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Concept Art & Character Design
Vehicle 3D Modeling & Animation
3D Character Animation
Producer & Director
Voice Actor (Nathan Gries)
Voice Actor (Wolfram)
Voice Actor (Isoroku Tsukumo)
Voice Actor (Capt. Carver)